I’ve painted, sanded, grouted and SHOPPED! HOLY CUSHIONS HAVE I SHOPPED! I sit here, SO relieved that I’m now able to share this blog because I have FINISHED our mini Reno… a mini Reno that took months and ended up being far more time consuming than expected because I already, was time poor but if there is anything I am good at, apart from sanding because I’m now a pro, its adding more to my plate when its already full.
Lets start this off with a bit of how and why etc. We built this home about 4-5 years ago… It was the first home we had designed and built ourselves, prior to that we had bought and sold two investment properties so with any first build I can guarantee there will always be things you will wish you did differently and as you grow older, naturally your taste will change. (Get a heck of a lot better)
Lucikly the style of our home is quite neutral, so basically its a blank canvas and most decor styles could be pulled off, it has lots of natural light, nice open spaces and I love our plan.
When building we wanted a quality build and quality finishes, so the cost went into making the bones and fittings of the house to stand the test of time, things like the size of the home, the tiles, stone benches throughout, organised wardrobes, a large functional kitchen, large windows and large open alfresco etc which meant when we moved in I used hand me down furniture and mis matched things id just collected throughout the years, I didn’t have the money to furnish it the way I had imagined, which was probably a good thing because at 25, the choices I would have made with decorating would no way compare to the taste I have developed as a much wiser 30 year old . The house didn’t really have a theme or obvious decor style, it was just whatever we had went in!
I couldn’t figure out why I still wasn’t happy with our home, as the home itself is beautiful, i was adamant we should rebuild. However after much discussion and even having our home on the market and then taking it down, I realised the reason why I wasn’t feeling right in our house was because id never got around to finishing it the way I had envisioned, really I could achieve what I wanted with a few changes and restyling, I didn’t want to leave our area I have 3 best friends that live in my street, my brother, my mum and dads house (yes all in the same street and adjoining street) and a beautiful view of our local river, our gardens have just started to look full and lush after 5 years of growing and there were no other blocks that we really loved. A mini reno was going to be the change I needed, its certainly no luxurious mansion and its still not perfect there are definitely things I wouldn’t do again and many things I would love to do if we were to build again but for now, its home and I enjoy it so much now after making it more ” Me”. We decided in many years to come we we rebuild to suit the next stage of our lives when the kids are older, for now this home is for the kids to make their memories in.
After having 2 children I decided it was time to finally “finish” the house and for the first time in my life be an adult and buy new things for my home. You know you are grown up when you buy your own crockery. I had two whole pregnancies to think about it but was so damn tired and busy so I said… one day. That one day was a light bulb moment at 3am when Arlo was 6 months old he is 11 months today) the very next day I started making it happen, I told my darling husband to just come home each day with an open mind and ignore me for a few months. Bless his heart he was like “Ok Darl”. Goodbye fantastic furniture package that gave me many years of memories and withstood many drinking games and good bye to the terrible choices I made when moving in on a tight budget! However, I’ll admit I still chose very affordable pieces to restyle with as you will see.
So here we go lets get started with the before and afters, I also should add that the theme I absolutely love, is “Hamptons” so I have gone for a fresh bright feel with soft blue hues throughout, we however do not live on the coast so I had to keep the “coastal” look to a minimum with only a touch, that still pairs well with the overall look of our entire home.
The terrible choices and transformations consisted of the following…
- Our black on black bedroom… Vampire much??? I don’t know why I did this… I guess I thought our bedroom should be dark and moody, I liked it at the time but now I just crave anything fresh and bright. Whites and neutrals make me feel calm and happy. The wall paper in there was also flocked velvet and gave me serious allergies, the black carpet made a huge bedroom look small, it really didn’t do the room justice. I realised soon after I did it, that it wasn’t for me, however I was stuck with it until I could afford to change it. The adjoining FULLY black tiled bathroom however, well, that bitch is here to stay because, my husband would divorce me if I renovated a 5 year old bathroom due to wrong colour choice, most people actually love the black bathroom though and now that the rest of the room is nice and bright the bathroom actually looks quite beautiful, let me warn you though, a black bathroom may be on trend and look schmick but its a shit of a thing to keep clean! just a tip. Don’t do it.
So here is a photo of our bedroom prior to the renovation, When you see the before and after photos in this blog some of you may think there was no need to change, technically there wasn’t anything “wrong” with any of these rooms, the change was simply because my taste and styling has changed and I felt they didn’t do our home justice.
BEFORE ( I want to suck your blood mouhahaha)
AAHHHHHHH LET THERE BE LIGHT!
lets starts with the suppliers and costs because you will be surprised at how affordable some of these items are, I love a good bargain shop, I believe quality pieces do make the difference in a home BUT quality doesn’t always have to mean the most expensive item, after looking around ALOT I could compare quality and cost and some things were a fraction of the cost but the exact same quality. I think to get a beautiful looking room you need to have a mix of both, don’t decorate your whole room in Kmart however if you find 1-2 pieces that pass as “the real thing” or just as good… Go for it! I also reused our mirrored furniture.
Bedroom products and supplier list.
- The rattan pendant light, most rattan lights I was looking at were around $300-$700 each… this baby was only $80 from IKEA…. take my money IKEA… take it allllll… (actually wait.. you already did) https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/00342193/
- The linen floral cushions. I had these custom made from an Insta store called THREAD CANDY. They have the most amazing fabrics to choose from, these add a touch of quality to the bedding the linen is gorgeous. NOTE- you can use the code ‘STYLE20″ for a discount in their store! whoop whoop! https://www.threadcandy.com.au/
- The bedding and feature cushions are from Linen house they have a beautiful spring/summer range online now, good quality yet affordable! Villa quilt cover set https://www.linenhouse.com/catalog/product/view/id/34290/s/villa-quilt-cover-set/category/6879/
- The rattan occasional chair… its an outdoor chair from a store I totally never shop at…. IKEA… it was $130 winner. https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/30339207/
- The carpet was a biggie but I knew to achieve the look I wanted it had to go, so it did, $1500 later.
- Wooden vase with floral arrangement done with the help of Brooke from “Something Special” http://www.something-special.net.au/
- Paint we have used Dulux lexicon full strength
- The king bed head. Another super affordable Instagram and online store called “Black Mango” I guarantee you won’t find cheaper bed heads and furniture made to this standard, totally affordable and SO many options to choose from, I went with a simple white linen, in a piped cushioned style, you can purchase this style here. https://www.blackmango.com.au/collections/bedheads
- Natural woven ottomans, Bargain $49 https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/40158135/
- Decor items on bedside tables and console, these were sourced at local decor stores, I’m sure you could easily find very similar items, I’ve used books, coral, a vase with palms and a linen lamp from https://jsfinteriors.com.au/home-and-lifestyle/
Dark, minimal cabinetry, hand me down furniture (still lovely though and has been reused) dark rug, wall paper, its all a bit mis matched, the whole area looks far smaller than what it is for example that wall is 6 metres with the TV.
and here we have AFTER!!!! Bright, fresh and decluttered.
My built in was a dream come true, its exactly what I envisioned and has totally transformed our lounge room and it pairs SO much better with our white kitchen, I have no idea why I ever decided to put that dark cabinetry in… no idea… maybe I was hung over?
- First of all Ben from Pinnicle kitchens was amazing, he made this happen and also did the built in for the children’s play area which ill also be showing you.
- White lounges… ok, I know you are going to ask.. how do I keep them clean with kids… EASY! They are slip covered lounges from IKEA! Ambria knows she isn’t allowed to eat on the lounge but if grubby fingers do make there was on to them ill just wipe off with a damp white cloth, the fabric is so durable it usually comes straight off, I’ve only had to wash them once and it was easy, they came up brand new! if in future they get to dirty, I can buy another set of covers from IKEA for $80 so I get the look I want without stressing over expensive lounges because these lounges were just under $900 each. https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/spr/49192639/
- The parquetry coffee table, this is from argyle imports in moss vale, It was $1500, its such a beautiful piece and I simply had to have it. http://argyleimports.com.au/mossvale.html
- The beige rug, its a 300×400 wool woven style from Instyle Rugs
- Custom made cushions on shelves and on lounges again from Thread candy https://www.threadcandy.com.au/ don’t forget to use the CODE- STYLE20
- Hydreangea arrangement by Rogue artificial flowers From local store “Your home Matters” https://www.instagram.com/yourhomematters_goulburn/
- Natural crystals on bookshelves https://www.tinytonics.com.au/collections/crystals
DINING KITCHEN AREA
This was a simple fix, I simply needed to paint the existing brown shelves to white and buy a new dining setting. In the kitchen all that was changed/added was the kick splash mirror was covered with white panelling and we added new bar stools and the hanging indoor plant. I am still yet to get new pendant lights, thats the only thing left on my list.
AFTER… Cohesive, open, and READY TO ENTERTAIN!
Suppliers and costs
- Parqetry dining table is 1500mm size and cost $2300 (a link to a similar option) https://www.templeandwebster.com.au/Leyna-Round-Dining-Table-Natural-Oak-D175-150-SGFU1049.html?refid=GPAAU447-SGFU1049&device=m&ptid=330600607189&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIlZS17LuA3wIV1jUrCh2fogGCEAkYCyABEgKQtvD_BwE
- Dining chairs are Ikea slip covered chairs $80 each https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/80362484/ with this white slip cover. https://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/50172292/
- bar stools $80 each from Home sweet Home
- Hanging indoor plant from Nest and Burrow moss vale $60
- Jute rug under dining from JSF interiors $600 https://jsfinteriors.com.au/
KIDS PLAY ROOM.
So basically not much going on here, no storage just a big room with zero organisation. It did however usually look better than this photo, this was taken just before Reno when I’d started to pull everything out and use this as a “whatever” area.
HELLO STORAGE! I have to admit this room isn’t finished yet as I’m going to be styling it into a gender neutral play room soon, just a little stuck on ideas as to how to make this an epic play room. (If you have any throw them at me, I’m thinking indoor cubby, all white and soft greys with greenery) with labelled storage wracks.
For privacy reasons I have decided not to upload photos of our full front exterior but here’s a little change I did on the front door it was dark brown, I added the hallway shelf and hat hooks and painted the door white and blue.
BEFORE (except I forgot to take photo before doing the wall shelf)
AFTER. (If it’s brown flush it down)
So thats it for the before and afters however, here are some other rooms in our home that you may be able to draw inspo from. I haven’t photographed every single room in our home (laundry, cinema room, spare bedroom etc) otherwise this blog will make you fall asleep, so here are some of my other favourite rooms and the suppliers
floral, bright, pretty and magical.
- Bedding is the ” Sansa” Bedding from linen House https://www.linenhouse.com/sansa-quilt-cover-set
- Wisteria wall prints from Little Rae Prints https://littleraeprints.com/collections/wall-decals
- Dusty pink bed head from Black Mango Aus https://www.blackmango.com.au/collections/bedheads
- Doll house from Winnie dot
- Cot and cot bedding pottery barn kids
- Mirror eBay
- Pendant light, Bunnings
- Wall colour, Breton Blue Dulux
- Cot Mobile, Arlo and co
- Occasional chair, early settler
- Tree IKEA
- White dressing table EBAY
- Wall prints ETSY (Mary’s flower garden)
HALLWAY & MAIN BATHROOM
PANTRY (labels from pretty little designs) https://linktr.ee/pretty.little.designs
AANNNDDD that’s it from me!
I hope you have Enjoyed reading and seeing the transformations for our mini Reno, I am so happy I decided to make it happen and I am loving all these fresh, bright open, spaces.
I still have a few things left up my sleeve to do, a few pendant lights to add amongst other bits and pieces.
My advice to anyone wanting to change up their home ( big or small changes) is to not do it on a whim! Take a few months to plan it out, source your items first which helps the budget, be very clear about what style you are going for, once you decide on a style stick to your guns and not waiver because of trends, thats how you end up with a little bit of “to much going on”. If you don’t know where to start when restyling/refurbishing a room, pick ONE piece you love, for e.g an occasional chair or rug, the rest will flow from the one piece you love. Don’t be afraid to copy, your home still needs to be a reflection of you but if styling isn’t your strengt, take pictures of rooms you love with you when hitting the shops and do your best to find similar or the same items.
Thank you for joining me here on Housewife style, below are some more photos for you to (hopefully) enjoy. If anyone has any questions about any of these rooms please feel free to contact me via instagram or email.
lots of love,
Your worn out, sweaty, paint covered, terpy smelling, sanding legend of a friend…
P.S all the above was achieved with two children asking me for a snack, to scratch their, bum, to go to the toilet, for cuddles all whilst clinging to my ankle or hip asking “What are you doing” “What are you doing?” “What are you doing?” a billion times… it took me a week just to paint my front door blue… a week.
Sadly, no one invited me to an auction night where I get hundreds of thousands of dollars… my husband bought be chocolates though.
To see more of what goes on in the Aubusson household follow us here https://www.instagram.com/housewifestyle/?hl=en